Climate protection is important to us, which is why we are supporting a project in 2018 by Climate Neutrality Alliance 2025, which replaces traditional coal stoves in households in Shanxi province in China with clean, biomass-fuelled gas stoves. The comparatively significantly lower CO2 emissions improve the air quality in the region and thus the health of the population living there.
According to an estimate by the World Health Organization (WHO), solid fuel combustion is responsible for 450,000 premature deaths annually in China alone. Efficient, biomass-fuelled cookers promote efficient and clean technologies that can be used in households for cooking, heating and water treatment.
Achieved so far (as of December 2019):
- Over 152,000 stoves have been installed in three provinces;
- 576,645 people benefit from better air quality;
- 278 jobs have been created;
- more than 1.5 million tons of charcoal have been saved since the start of the project
- Households save USD 1,500-2,000 in fossil fuels over the five-year life of the stove;
- each individual stove avoids about 4.5 tons of CO2 per year;
- Households save US$37-50 for every dollar spent on the stove;